A Look Back at Jonathan Goldsmith’s Top Performing Dos Equis Ads
For nearly ten years, Dos Equis’ “Most Interesting Man in the World” has regaled viewers with tales of his impossible adventures; from winning “the lifetime achievement award, twice” to running a marathon merely because “it was on his way,” the memorable spokesman has become a pop culture icon.
But, even the most interesting man has to retire sometime and it appears that time is now. Dos Equis is saying goodbye to the man behind the “Most Interesting Man in the World” character — Jonathan Goldsmith — with a one-way mission to Mars in its latest ad, “Adios Amigo.” In honor of his decade-long run as the most interesting spokesman in the world, we’re taking a look back at his top performing ads and his contribution to the beer maker’s success.
Started in 2006 by Havas Worldwide, the “Most Interesting Man in the World” campaign has stood the test of time, continuing to be a strong performer in the competitive world of beer advertising even after a decade. Since 2014, Dos Equis has claimed the number eight spot for digital performance (0.73% Digital Share of Voice*) and its ads have had Engagement Scores** well above what is standard for the industry – 7.2 compared to the industry average of 6.0 – and a consistently high percentage of positive online sentiment, averaging 81%.
His only regret might be “not knowing what regret feels like” but ours is not getting to watch his ads anymore. Enjoy Jonathan Goldsmith’s top spots by digital engagement, including earned search, social and online video below, and maybe raise a glass of his preferred beer while you’re at it.
Top 5 Dos Equis Ads by Digital Engagement
1. Dos Equis, ‘Swimming, Sledding, Saving and Surgery‘ Digital Share of Voice: 23.8%
2. Dos Equis, ‘Memory Foam Mattresses‘ Digital Share of Voice: 19.1%
3. Dos Equis, ‘The Most Interesting Man in the World Walks on Fire‘ Digital Share of Voice: 15.7%
4. Dos Equis, ‘The Most Interesting Man in the World on Cinco de Mayo‘ Digital Share of Voice: 13.1%
5. Dos Equis, ‘The Most Interesting Man in the World Picks Up a Spare‘ Digital Share of Voice: 6.9%
* Digital Share of Voice: The percentage of Social Actions and Earned Views generated by the spot compared to all others. This is the primary measurement used to rank the performance of the ads.
** Engagement Score: A rating measured by the lifetime volume of digital activity across video, social and search, divided by the estimated TV spend and compared to all other campaigns on national TV.